Promote Your Books Directly to Readers in a Vibrant, Full-Color, Print Newspaper
Formerly known as “The Readers’ Edge,” Matchbook Marketing’s customized print newsletter for indie bookstore customers has been in publication since 1998, serving independent bookstores around the country.
The 12-page, bi-monthly, full-color newspaper features new and forthcoming books along with store specific material, and is distributed directly to bookstore customers. The newsletter has an average print run of 36,000 copies, and is in stores across the US.
Matchbook is now offering space in the newspaper for publisher paid advertising. Space is limited! Lock in your slot for any issue. We have discounts for first-time advertisers, university presses, paperback books, debut authors, ¼ page ads, or two ad spaces in a single issue. And we have a loyalty program for those who purchase ads in consecutive issues!
For questions and newspaper samples, contact Gwyn Ridenhour at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Matchbook News is the only customized print newspaper for independent bookstores.
- The bimonthly 12-page newspaper features eight core pages of new and forthcoming books with jacket images and blurbs and is personalized with wrap-arounds that are unique to each store, featuring staff picks and events.
- Each issue has a 2-month readership life.
Audience and Distribution
- Matchbook News is distributed to the customers of independent bookstores. The combination of store specific material (such as event listings, staff picks, a letter from the store owner, store coupons, etc.) together with vibrant, browsing-friendly book blurbs keeps the newspaper relevant for two months and encourages repeat readings.
- Matchbook News has an average print run of 36,000 per issue, and is in stores across the country, including the northwest, northeast, central, southeast, and south-central states.
- Stores distribute the newspaper in a variety of ways, including bulk mailing, Every Door Direct Mail, local newspaper insertion, and bag stuffers.
Matchbook News features new and forthcoming books that are readily available to independent booksellers all over the country. To qualify for ad space, books must meet the following specifications:
- The book should be available for purchase through a major distributors. If you are without major distribution but are still interested in advertising, contact Gwyn Ridenhour via email (below).
- No self-published books.
- The book should be published within the last year (new and forthcoming preferred).
- Must hold national interest (i.e., no region-specific titles).
- Debut authors encouraged.
- Must be appropriate to a wide audience. Books may be disqualified for inflammatory, inappropriate, or proselytizing content.
- Matchbook reserves the right to disqualify any book for any reason.
Matchbook News core pages are organized in the following categories: Fiction, Non-fiction, New in Paperback, Children’s, Teens/Tweens, and Young Adult. When possible, ads will be placed to match the genre on the newsletter page.
Space is limited. Applications will be reviewed for guideline qualification. If guidelines are met, ads will be prioritized on a first-come-first-served basis. Publishers will be notified within three days of submission deadline.
(or two 1/8 page ads in a single issue)
- First-time advertisers: $150/one time
- University Presses: $100/ad
- Debut author or paperback discount: $50/ad
- Two 1/8 page ads (per imprint) may be purchased at the ¼ page discounted rate.
- Loyalty Program: When you purchase ad space in three consecutive issues, receive a discount for $150 off the third.
All ads are 4 color, and should be prepared in CMYK in 300 DPI.
Acceptable file formats include Photoshop (.psd), .tif, .pdf, .eps, or .jpg.
Below is a sample of a core page. An 1/8 page ad is equivalent to one of the book blurb entries below.
A 1/4 page ad is equivalent to two of the book blurb entries below. The 1/4 page ad can be stacked vertically or laid out horizontally across two columns. Advertisers select size and orientation, but Matchbook will decide placement on the page.